Tips from Keep America Beautiful
Be a Part of the Solution, Not a Source of Pollution
Tips from Keep America Beautiful, here are 20 suggestions for improving community environments year-round:
- Ask local businesses to adopt - a - spot to maintain.
- Ask your local government officials to establish regular community improvement activities, and to support and promote volunteer efforts.
- Compost yard and food waste.
- Conduct a recycling drive in your neighborhood or your business.
- Create a beautiful green space by planting trees and shrubs in an area in need of improvement.
- Create a trash fishing contest in your waterway to increase awareness about illegal dumping and littering.
- Donate gently used clothes to needy organizations and shelters and identify other items that you can reuse.
- Donate your old computer equipment or recycle.
- Find out how pollution in storm drain runoff can impact our aquifers and ecosystems, and be passionate about doing your part to reduce litter and solid waste.
- Help your library establish an environmental corner that offers books and other educational materials about taking care of the Earth.
- Help your local schools conduct recycling drives and clean-up projects.
- Keep a litter bag in your car or your recreational vehicle until you get to a trash receptacle.
- Organize a paint-out with family and friends, and create a community paintbrush mural over a wall of illegal graffiti. Recycle junk mail.
- Paint and fix up playground equipment. Use your canvas bags when shopping.
- Pick up a piece of litter every day and recycle or dispose of properly.
- Recycle your old tires. Report graffiti to your local authorities.
- Reduce the amount of plastic containers purchased, buy glass whenever possible.
- Volunteer to help your employer conduct quarterly paper recycling drives at work.
- Work with the local civic groups to identify and eliminate eyesores, and beautify your local environment.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper asking others to respect public lands and keep them clean.